Monday 10 January 2011

First week in January.... done!

After the Christmas excess and the spate of unrelenting bad weather the first week of 2011 was always going to be onerous - finding the opportunity to get out on the bike let alone the necessary willpower to face the elements was, as I expected, something of a drudge. However, somehow I managed 90 miles up to yesterday - even more surprising is that I managed it whilst suffering from 'man-flu' or at least an annoying cold.

Yesterday saw me up at 6.00am determined to brave the icy conditions and cycle to Burton-on-Trent where we had arranged to meet a 'man about a camper van' - This plan was on course; 15 minutes to apply the necessary layers of clothing, thermal vest, T-Shirt, Cycling shirt, reflective vest, two pairs of thermal sock, overshoes, windproof thermal bib-tights, two pairs of gloves, wind stopper headband, thermal buff and finally, helmet (with helmet light - a new toy). Outside then to the garage, get the bike out, - Oh no! - a flat tyre. I stand and stare at it for a few moments, suddenly the idea of getting back into bed seems most appealing, but no, I am reminded that work put in now will make things easier later in the year. Okay, tools out, spare tube and on with the job. I decide to take the wheel into the kitchen to make the tube change, makes sense, no point in freezing outside. I change the innertube then its back outside to the garage where I have a track pump - I pump up the tyre.... it immediately deflates.... now I'm running late - and seriously consider abandoning the plan... No! - I must persevere.... Ok, another tube - I have one more spare.... I do the change again, this time its okay, I look at the one I had installed previously and can see it has a leak along the seam of the tube - must be faulty I assume. At last I think I'm ready - by now it's 7.30 am - still dark and I need to cycle 12 miles to meet Gary - I set out, lights ablaze and head through the lanes toward Barton in the Beans, I notice there's a lot of frost on the back roads, glistening white jewels flickering as the lights of the bike hit them - before I know it I'm off the bike and sliding along the road surface, didn't expect that - didn't think it was quite that bad - I mount up again, no damage done, but looking at the road I begin to wonder whether this is such a good idea, certainly I'll need to curtail any idea of speed. In the end I decide to head back home - I've covered less than 5 miles but any further is going to be risky. A shame but its for the best. Instead I get changed and we make the trip by car

On arrival at Gary's he has a breakfast ready, Bacon, egg and bean - tea and toast - fantastic! - Once we have polished that off we drive to Burton and meet the man with the campervan - it really is ideal, perfect for what we need - we negotiate a price and a provisional date - this to be confirmed over the next day or two - we leave feeling we have made good progress and that it's all suddenly very real!

Later in the afternoon we manage to get out for a decent leg spinner - with the 5 miles from this morning my total was just over 30 miles for the day.

Hopefully we'll be able to confirm dates for the trip in the next posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment